Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday Sundry 3-9-14

How do you fare with the Daylight Saving Time change?  Does it take you a bit to get acclimated or do you sail right through unfazed? 

It's nice to have the extra hour of daylight this evening, but my body was reluctant to get out of bed this morning until it was good and ready.  
...because it'll be over soon!
This afternoon I got really hungry around 4:00 p.m. and nixed exercising in favor of a walk to the kitchen.  Then I realized I hadn't changed the sewing room clocks yet and it was actually an hour later, so no wonder.  I'll catch up eventually.

I made this little mat because I needed to practice my quilting for the Hubcap Diamond Star Halo quilt. I had some random kaleidoscope triangles in the scrap box, so I put a block together and practiced FMQ. 

(Back)
In the end, I quilted the curves inside the triangles with a walking foot on the actual quilt (see previous post), and I'm glad that was possible because it worked out much more smoothly and evenly.  I didn't mind all the pivoting and turning because the quilt was on the small side so it was doable.

Someone asked if I would make a pattern for the Hubcap Diamond Star Halo quilt (hi Sarah!).  Yes, I will be happy to give you the skinny on how it goes together this week sometime.  It won't be a pattern per se, but I'll tell you how to make one should you be so inclined.  Sound like a plan?

Have you seen what Kevin is doing?  A Quilt of Valor block drive from now until June 1!

QOV Block Drive - Kevin the Quilter
He's got all the details on it HERE.  It's a simple block that anyone can do, and I hope you will!  I knocked out 10 of them on Friday night in a short amount of time.  It's a good scrap buster and a great cause!  And there will be a drawing for a $100 gift card, with one entry for every 5 blocks you send.

I did a little sewing on my Tea Towel Challenge project this weekend, mainly just sewing together what had been staring at me from the design board for a month.  Here's where it stands at the moment.  Sort of unsure what direction it will go next, but it'll come in time as I continue to putter.

I'm listening to the Mighty Oaks lately. Can't wait until the white stuff has melted and it looks like this summery scene again here!



8 comments:

Kevin the Quilter said...

P!!!!! I always have problems losing an hour, but, I know that spring will be happening, and that means gardening time for me! Thanks for the nice shout out, and your blocks look WONDERFUL! I truly hope we are able to cover a lot of veterans through our efforts with this block drive! And your tea towel is rockin'!

Shay said...

Ok first off – I love the teapot /teacup combo.

Second – in about three weeks we’re going to wind our clocks back and I always hate going to work and coming home in the dark. I love DLS time but it takes me about a week to get on board when the clocks go forward.

The DSH mat looks gorgeous. Another lovely riot of colour from the House of P.

Hazel said...

A Quilt of Valor? I think it's a lovely idea, and the quilts you are making for the tea towel challenge are wonderful. It is great to see other peoples ideas. I am repairing a heirloom quilt that my grandma pieced in 1920. I'm enjoying it and love doing it!

Kim said...

I must say that I love Daylight Savings...I love the extra daylight hours. We are converting back to normal hours soon...I am not looking forward to waking up to darkness. I really, really need to have that gorgeous teapot and cup of yours!! Did you find that treasure on one of your many thrifting jaunts? How pretty do they look sitting ever so perky on your 'practice' mat. Love, love those fabrics and that design...but you knew that already, didn't you. I'm with Sarah, can't wait for you to enlighten us all on the 'how tos' of this design....I can feel another quilt coming on!!

MomWaldsPlace said...

Nifty tea set! Hey, if you have a fever from the flu you don't even notice daylight savings time. So, at least I have that going for me...

sophie said...

It usually takes me at least a week until I'm sleeping well (and at the right time) again when we switch to Daylight Savings Time and back again ... during that week, I'm just not very focused or productive, no matter how hard I try.

Your tea towel quilt is looking good–I love the colors.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, LOVE the Mighty Oaks you shared! Wow!

Your QOV blocks are awesome! I'll have to see if I can scrape together a few minutes to make some.

And I love your mini HDSH! The little loops in the corner add a really awesome flare! Such pretty colors and it goes together with your tea set so well!

xo -E

Elizabeth said...

I forgot to say that I really like how your Tea Towel challenge is coming along! Those triangles are awesome! I need to get a triangle ruler.

xo -E