Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Chocolate Beet Cake: Round Two

This one's a keeper!  

Julie, who blogs at Julie Lou, commented last week on my failed attempt at a chocolate beet cake, including a link to a recipe she has used with success. 

So, with a Ziplock bag of fresh beets in the fridge, I gave it a try.  This recipe called for raw, grated beets.  Here are the little ruby gems, peeled and quartered and ready for a spin in the food processor.


I had to change the recipe somewhat to make it gluten free.  Next, I consulted Google to find out what an oven temp of 160 C. translated to in Fahrenheit (about 325 degrees), and how much was 300 grams of grated beets.  After getting conflicting information on the last query, I just went with a cup and a half.


Ready to go in the oven - the batter is sort of pink.
After baking - it looks like chocolate cake!
Before I go any further, I have to tell you that you don't taste beets in this recipe.  This is about to be reaffirmed, I suspect, momentarily.  Norm just got home from work and is loading a piece of what simply looks like yummy chocolate cake on a plate as I type this.  And he loathes beets.  I'm about to ask him what he thinks of the cake...

One moment please...I want him to finish the whole piece.

"It's a really good cake."

YES!!!

"Why, does it have beets in it?"

Yes.  Yes, it does.  (He seems unfazed by this admission.)

Now, I bet the only reason he asked that is because I've had the new beet cake recipe printed out and sitting next to the computer for a few days and he probably noticed it.  I made sure I did all the dishes and cleaned the kitchen of any other evidence before he got home.

"Well, you can't taste them.  Maybe it's a little sweeter," he added.

I'm calling that a success.  

Dad, if you're reading this, I will save you some cake.  Thanks for sharing your garden bounty.  And thanks again to Julie, who enjoys baking and quilting and gardening, among other things.  Her beautiful blog is drool worthy on many levels.

Below is my gluten-free version of the recipe linked above.  I made other modifications as well, and I want to remember what I did.  I'll be making this again!


Chocolate Beet Cake (gluten-free)

1/2 c. melted coconut oil (I used part ghee, about 1/4 c.)
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
2/3 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1-1/2 c. beets, peeled and finely grated
1/3 c. white rice flour
1/3 c. sorghum flour
1/3 c. almond meal flour
1/4 c. tapioca starch flour
3/4 t. xanthan gum
1/4 c. cocoa
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1-1/2 t. cinnamon

Topping:
1/4 c. chocolate chips
1/4 c. ground walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 F.  Grease a 9 x 9 square baking pan.

In a small bowl, mix together white rice flour, sorghum flour, almond meal, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.

In a mixing bowl, beat together oil, sugar, applesauce, and eggs.  Stir in grated beets and flour mixture, and mix until well combined.

Spoon into prepared pan.  Sprinkle with chocolate chips and ground walnuts.  Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean but moist.  Cool before cutting.

4 comments:

Karen said...

You crack me up! So glad you got a beet recipe to work and Norm is ok post-cake testing :)

Shay said...

Sweet success...and an infinitely better result than last time. It didn't end up in the bin and got the Norm seal of approval!

300 grams = 10 oz give or take . I have one of those really cool sets of scales that converts between the two measurements because Im constantly making recipes from your corner of the world.

Julie said...

So glad that it was a success. Lovely photos of it too. I didn't think to put the conversions in for you - lucky we have the internet.

Elizabeth said...

Hooray! I'm intrigued and may have to try this. That pink batter is pretty. I wonder if any of my neighbors grew beets. I don't recall seeing them in the grocery store. Ever. But I wasn't looking, either.

xo -E