Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Limbo

Some things have come to a standstill around here this week, like work on the deck, due to wet weather, and much of anything substantial in the sewing department.  One thing I wish would pause for a bit (like for a whole two-day weekend, maybe?) is the workflow.  But since it supports my hobbies and allows me to work in my sweatpants, I dare not complain too much.

I did sew a backing together yesterday for the Sudoku quilt.  Just one long seam, that's it, which I pinned together the way it happened to lay on my cutting table.  I did not try to match anything, but lookey there:

Dumb luck.  There is apparently a diagonal created by the pink and green parasols, which I wasn't even aware of until I pressed the seam.  Hunh.

The family gathered together at Pa's on Father's Day.  Among other things, we grilled goose brats.  What's a goose brat, you ask?  Well, the hunters in the family took all their Canada goose breasts to the butcher and had them ground into bratwurst.  Cajun flavored, even.  And they were not bad at all.  I ate a leftover for lunch today, in fact.  I'd give them about a 7, on a scale of 1 to 10, in both weirdness and taste.

Dad still likes to line us all up, just like when we were kids, and snap pictures.  We grumble a little but oblige.  Here we are, my siblings and I (in the red shirt).

Here we are with Dad.

My brother Russ looks a little bit like Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars.  In fact, when he was in Las Vegas, he had his picture taken outside the pawn shop.

Darrell, on the right, looks a little bit like Dee Snider without the makeup (especially when he doesn't have a beard).  He has also at times reminded me of a young Jimmy Stewart (think in It's a Wonderful Life), but with a lot more hair.

 Darrell

Dee Snider

I don't know if I look like anybody famous.  My hairdresser, many years ago, said Geena Davis, but I don't think so (but I wish). 

How about you?  Do you resemble someone famous?  If an actor were to play you in a movie, who would it be?  

I think Jane Lynch would get the role of me, not so much for facial features as overall build and height.  Just have her quit working out for a few months, change the hair, and send her to Sconnie to eat some brats and get the accent down.  Yeah, that'd work.

10 comments:

thea said...

I had to work real hard to see the seam .. if you hadn't told me I wouldn't have had any idea it was two pieces sewn together.

Love the family pics. I don't look like anyone famous ..

Elizabeth said...

I don't know where to start commenting.

First, you and Geena Davis . . . I can totally see it. Second, I love Jane Lynch and I can see her playing you too.

Me? I've been compared to Gillian Anderson {Scully on X-Files} but not for a really long time and especially since I quit dying my hair red.

And I can totally see Darrell's resemblance to both Jimmy Stewart and Dee Snider.

Also, when things work out like they did for the back of the Sudoku quilt, you totally own it by saying something like, 'it was my masterful planning, careful execution and mad skilz that got this backing to match so perfectly.'

xo -E

P.S. that is a really cute picture of you!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

in my younger days - back in the early 70's I was told I looked like Cher or Marlo Thomas - other than the hair I could never see it myself - now I sure don't look like either :)
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Kathy said...

I look like Danny DeVito!!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Pretty accurate comparisons! Darrell does look like Jimmy Stewart. And I like his taste in music!
A total stranger told me I look just like a character on Sex and the City, but since I've never watched it, I don't know who it is. She went on about it for a good five minutes in the health food store. I'm surprised she didn't follow me to the parking lot:)
By the way, I'm reading this post while wearing my red polo shirt:)

What seam?!?!

Shay said...

What a fortunate coincidence with the quilting back. I bet subconciously you really did plan it - so take credit for your brilliance!

Love seeing pictures of your family. I can see the Geena resemblance. Completely!

I dont look like anyone famous, and if someone were to play me in a movie about my life it would probably have to be Barbra Streisand. She's certainly wacky enough !

Larri said...

Great fortune on the quilt backing! I definitely see Geena Davis. ☺ And, wow! Your people are tall! ;o)

When I was a teenager, people would say I looked like Molly Ringwald, but it was because of the red hair. That's where the resemblance ends.

Happy Thursday! ☺

Tabatha said...

You're right, I can't believe how much Darrel looks like Dee Snider!

When I was in my 20's people thought I looked like Beverly D'Angelo, my Mother used to look like Jessica Lange and my brother resembles Liam Neeson.

With all this rain, I've managed to squeeze in some quilting, as you know. ;D

Michelle said...

What cool backing fabric!

Michelle said...

Duh, with this moving thing, I got interrupted by my own brain and didn't finish my comment:

Wow! Your brothers really do look like those other guys. Looks like you and your family had a great time over Father's Day weekend. Awesome!